Monday, July 30, 2012

Spicy Vegetarian Pizza

I just made this the other night for a vegetarian friend of mine and we couldn't stop eating it! The spiciness intensifies in the oven and so paired with a couple of Coronas was the perfect summer fun meal.
















Crust

Sauce

  • 6 Tbsp garlic
  • 2 cups fresh basil
  • 3-5 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 1-2 Tbsp sriracha (note)

Toppings

  • 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, chopped roughly
  • 1 pint of mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
  1. Prepare the pizza crust as directed in that recipe. Set aside. Preheat oven to 500ºF
  2. In a food processor, puree all of the sauce ingredients together. Spread over the pizza crust, leaving a small amount of space clean at the outer edge of the crust. 
  3. Mix the two cheeses together evenly. Reserve 1/2 cup of cheese, and sprinkle the rest evenly over the sauce.
  4. Arrange the spinach over the cheese. Next arrange the mushrooms, and finally the red peppers.
  5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
  6. Place on middle oven rack. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese just starts to turn brown. 
  7. Remove and let cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Notes:
      1. Sriracha intensifies with time! Do not pre-make this before hand or it may become too hot to taste the other flavours. Adjust the amount of sriracha to your taste, taste testing as you are making the sauce, just remember it will get spicier in the oven.
      2. If I have more sauce than I want on my pizza, I'll add olive oil and a vinegar that will go well flavour-wise, shake it up and I have an interesting salad dressing. As long as it doesn't get too hot, this one is pretty interesting.
      3. I find that if I bake the pizza 15 minutes (my oven tends to run a little cool/slow) the crust is perfect, but my friend insists it should have baked another 5-10 minutes. But he likes it slightly burnt - yucko I respond! Try it out and decide how much you like the crust to cook. 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment