Friday, July 20, 2012

Chickpea, Tomato, Kalmata & Feta Salad (gf, v)

I fell in love with this salad back in undergrad, when feta cheese was still exotic and super expensive to me. I discovered it in the very first issue of Everyday Food. Over the years I've modified the recipe slightly, but the essence is still there. This makes a great fast lunch you can throw together and keep in the fridge or eat straight away.


Ingredients:

  • 1 can garbanzo beans/chick peas, drained and rinsed well
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 1- 4 ounce package of plain feta cheese, crumbled (reduced fat versions work too)
  • 1- 9.5 ounce jar of kalmata olives, pitted and quartered (see note)
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning (herb mix)
  • fresh ground salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. In a medium bowl, stir all ingredients together.
  2. You can either serve this immediately, or as I like it, let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two to allow the flavours to blend. Makes 4 servings. Enjoy!

Notes: 


  1. Sorry! I was a total airhead because I was multitasking the day I made and posted this recipe and forgot to add the kalmata olives! The original recipe doesn't call for them, but trust me they totally make this recipe! I'll update this photo the next time I make this. Also, the amount listed above is for if you buy the kind with the pits still in them; if you buy the kind with the pits removed only use half the jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment