Friday, July 20, 2012

Breakfast Smoothie # 1 (gf, v)

  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1 can lite coconut milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa
  • 2-3 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 Tbsp chai seeds (optional)
  1. Place all items in a blender, ice cubes at the bottom, and blend until smooth. 
  2. Pour into a glass and drink. 
Makes 2 breakfast smoothies.

Note: This is a high calorie, high protein breakfast smoothie for those who are very active, like long distance runners. As I'm recovering from a major illness I drink these when I'm feeling particularly weak and my body actually needs the extra energy. I would not recommend this to anyone watching their weight or cholesterol as one can of even the lite coconut milk contains 250 calories and 100% of your daily saturated fat. However, this breakfast smoothie can be made healthier by substituting the coconut milk for soy milk and making sure to use a low fat, low sugar peanut butter.

Regarding the saturated fat in coconut milk, there is much debate on that issue. Some believe that as it is plant based that it is healthier and does not pose the heart health risks that other saturated fats do. Personally I'm not convinced. I do intended upon doing much greater research and posting on this debate in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment