Monday, July 23, 2012

Grandma's Pancakes

Pancakes are ancient! There is archeological evidence that primitive humans used to make these in clay pots on hot stones. These were probably the very first grain based food that humans ever ate! Ruminate on that the next time you sit around the table enjoying a stack of these delicious fluffy cakes.
















  • 3 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cups milk of choice (see notes)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  1. This will work in a medium bowl, but I like the convenience of making these in a plastic jug. Put all of the ingredients in the jug (or bowl), close and shake shake shake your bottle! (Or whisk together.)
  2. Add the flour and shake (or stir) together. The batter will be fairly thick.
  3. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the leavening (baking soda) to do its thing; this creates their fluffiness!
  4. Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Be patient and be sure it gets fully hot before you start - the batter should sizzle when you pour it on to the skillet. (see notes) Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into pan at a time per pancake.
  5. Cook until the edges become dry and many, but not all, of the bubbles that rise to the surface have burst. Flip and continue to cook until the surface touching the pan becomes golden brown.
Notes:
  1. Milk of choice: As you may notice from my recipes I never use regular milk. Its not ethical or moral reason - I'm just allergic to it. Cow milk will work just fine in these. However, if you're like me and can't drink cow milk I use lite coconut milk in these. It is thicker than soy milk, so it helps to give these a richer texture.
  2. To butter or not to butter the pan, that is the questions. I remember watching my Grandma butter the pan before pouring in the pancake batter, but I think that buttering the pan today is more of a remnant of the days before non-stick cookware. These work just fine in my nice Calphalon skillet without butter. In fact if I do add butter, it just seems to burn and smoke unpleasantly, so I skip that step. But as always, know you're own cookware and decide for yourself if you need to butter the pan lightly before adding the pancake batter.
  3. The day I took the photo of these pancakes I served them with a little bit of butter, a sprinkling of shredded coconut, and sliced bananas. Syrup is optional. Try your own creative variations for serving these. It can be a great way to get kids to eat a little fruit with breakfast too.
  4. Single person like me? Another advantage of the jug method: keep the extra batter it right in the jug, store it in the fridge for up to maybe a five days or a week (I usually eat them before that), add about a tablespoon of milk and reshake and make a quick tasty breakfast anytime!
  5. Crêpe pan: I own a crêpe pan and have on occasion used it rather than a skillet or frying pan to make 2 quick pancakes for myself (its much smaller and less clean up). It does work, but be aware that the pan is much thinner so you will have to reduce the heat about 25% and the cakes my still get just slightly burnt, but will still be deliciously edible. Electronic crêpe makers: I've never used one so I have no idea how these thicker pancakes will work on one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment