Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dinner on the Fly # 1 (v opt)

It's midnight and I haven't had dinner. A salad is a bit boring and I'd like something warm but light before bed. I look in the fridge, throw something together, and this is what I come up with:


















  • 2 handfuls of mustard greens, roughly chopped to bite-size pieces (kale, chard or other greens work too)
  • 1/2 lemon, juice & pulp
  • 1/2 Tbsp Bragg's Amino Acids
  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2-1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/8 cup feta cheese, crumbled (skip to make vegan)
  1. In a medium sauce pan with a steamer insert, add water to just below the steamer. Bring to a boil. Add greens. Cover and let steam until bright green, about 3-5 minutes. (Cooking time will vary with each type of greens. I like to keep mine slightly crunchy so I don't over cook them.)
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
  3. When greens are done, carefully remove from pan, making sure excess water drips off, and transfer to the bowl.
  4. Toss in the mixture. Eat. Makes 1 serving.
This might not be the most exciting meal I'll ever post, but it sure is healthier than the box of mac & cheese I debated just before making this.

Note: I never measure when cooking like this so you might want to adjust the amounts to your tastes as I'm kind of guessing on them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment