Saturday, December 8, 2012

Powdered Sugar in a Pinch

Ever been baking and realize you're short or out of powdered sugar? I was today when I wanted to experiment with making a white streusel, so I was finally able to try out an idea I read on another blog a while back for making powdered sugar at home.

Its simple really. Measure the volume of powdered sugar you need, but using regular granulated sugar, and put it in a food processor. Add cream of tartar. Whir away for a few minutes, until the sugar is the consistency you need. It's not going to reach the fine powder of powdered sugar, but it works in a pinch.

My opinion: skip the cream of tartar though- it imbues the sugar with a tart taste, like slightly off lemon juice was added. Supposedly the cream of tartar keeps the sugar from smoking, but I didn't see any signs of that happening when I tried it without the cream of tartar. I did however use 1 tsp of cream of tartar to 1/4 cup of sugar, so maybe it was my ratio that was off.

No comments:

Post a Comment